Martin Ammerloher (1885-1896)
As the last landlord of the old Hofbräuhaus before the new facility was built in 1897, Martin Ammerloher was well known for his kitchen management: no food was served before 6 p.m. or after 8 p.m. Not surprising that the guests then turned to liquid sustenance, often depleting the available stock of beer.
Joseph Wittmann (1897-1906)
Joseph Wittmann was the first landlord of the new Hofbräuhaus. He introduced a dinner menu and started the tradition of serving hot food until 11 p.m.
Karl Mittermüller (1906-1919)
Maibock beer taping was introduced during Karl Mittermüller’s time. This tradition still continues today as the annual first tapping of Maibock beer.
Hans Panzer (1919-1930)
Landlord Hans Panzer had an excellent sense of humor. When a state representative once claimed that the food served at some Munich taverns was “muck,” Panzer quickly came up with a plan. Panzer, who was also in charge of the state parliament’s canteen, immediately added a dish to the representative’s menu called “muck”. The dish was very tasty and Panzer enjoyed the last laugh.
Hans Bacherl (1930-1945)
In April 1944, the first aerial bombs struck the Hofbräuhaus. By the end of World War II, only part of the main beer hall was still in tact. Hans Bacherl managed to continue tavern operation during the bombing raids.
Valentin Emmert (1945-1950)
In fall 1945, Valentin Emmert took over the Hofbräuhaus as the first post-war landlord. Despite the poor state of the facility and serious supply shortages, the first few carnival celebrations could still be held before the monetary reform in 1948.
Franz Trimborn (1950-1960)
Most of the renovation work on the Hofbräuhaus was done during Franz Trimborn’s era. Renovation of the historic hall was completed just in time for the city of Munich 's 800-year celebration.
Toni Steiner (1960-1970)
Under the management of Toni Steiner, the kitchen at the Hofbräuhaus was equipped with the largest stove in the world at the time. With an impressive length of 10 meters, the stove cost 3 million German marks, a veritable fortune in those days.
Hans Glanegger (1970-1980)
In 1971, Hans Glanegger expanded the restaurant by rebuilding the adjacent house. Glanegger also proved himself a crisis management expert in 1979 during the Europa Cup finals between Nottingham and Malmo. When the English fans started to break the first beer steins, Glanegger was forced to serve beer in paper cups for the first time ever in the history of the Hofbräuhaus. It may have been sacrilegious to do so, but in this case, the end justified the means.